All International Students must complete payroll processing with Tax Services
at One Waterfront Place before they can begin work on campus.
Payroll Processing information for International Student Employees is available
I: International Students who already have a Social Security Number or
Social Security Number Receipt can process for payroll by calling and scheduling
an appointment with: Marie E. Jackson or any member of the Tax Services Unit Tax
Services One Waterfront Place, Don Knotts Blvd.
Phone: (304) 293-3379, option 3
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR PAYROLL PROCESSING
2. I-94 card
3. I-20 or DS-2019 form
4. Social Security Card OR receipt from the Social Security Administration
5. Banking documents (US bank) that can be used for direct deposit of your pay check. Select one of the following:
- Voided check OR
- Typed letter from the bank on letterhead with routing and account information signed by that representative OR
- Copy of bank statement with routing/account information OR
- Counter checks are acceptable but the name/address must be written at the top of the check OR Savings Account:
- Savings deposit slip OR
- Copy of passbook savings with routing/account information
If you secure another on-campus job, you must contact Marie Jackson by phone to determine the payroll process.
II: Process for applying for a Social Security Card – If you obtain an employment opportunity on campus and do not have a Social Security card please do the following:
1. Request an Employment Offer Letter (see the sample letter on the reverse side) from the hiring manager. It can be downloaded at: http://oiss.wvu.edu/students/forms/social-security-card. It must be completed and printed on department letterhead and signed by the hiring manager.
2. The International Student must submit the completed letter to International Students and Scholars in E. Moore Hall across from the Mountainlair. Then ISSS will then prepare a Letter of Verification for students with a J-1 Visa status.
3. Wait for approximately 5-10 days for the information to become active in the SEVIS system, then take your Employment Offer Letter, ISSS Letter of Verification, Passport, Visa, Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, and I-94 Card to the Social Security Administration. (See driving and public transportation directions below)
4. The Social Security Administration office will process your application and provide you with a receipt.
5. Follow the directions in SECTION 1 to process for payroll.
GRADUATE ASSISTANTS – Social Security Administration change effective 8.1.09: The Social Security office will no longer accept spring dated assistantship letters for fall term international graduate assistants applying for a Social Security card. Departments must go to http://oiss.wvu.edu/students/forms/social-security-card and download the form on their own letterhead. (See sample below.) The student must also pick up another letter from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) and be ACTIVE in the Homeland Security SEVIS system before applying for a Social Security Number. For questions please phone ISSS at (304) 293-3519.
- One Waterfront Place: Walking or driving directions from the Mountainlair to One Waterfront Place: From the Mountainlair, travel west on University Avenue to US 19 South. At the intersection of Pleasant Street, University Avenue/US 119 South and the Westover Bridge, continue straight ahead on Don Knotts Boulevard/US 119 South (approximately 6 blocks) to the Wharf District. Turn right into One Waterfront Place. (This is directly across from the Waterfront Place Hotel.) There is a paid parking garage attached to the building. (This building also houses WVU Human Resources and the WVU Visitors Resource Center.) Students may also take the Rail Trail.
- Directions for public transportation from the Mountainlair to One Waterfront Place: Take Mountain Line’s Red Line bus to the bus depot then transfer to the Green Line to One Waterfront Place. For assistance, contact the staff at the Mountainlair Information Desk.
- Social Security Administration Office is located at 3596 Collins Ferry Road, Morgantown, WV 26505.
- Social Security Administration Office Hours 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday 9 a.m. to 12 noon, Wednesday. After receiving the original Social Security Card it is the student’s responsibility to make a second appointment with Marie Jackson and present the original card to her for processing. This process is for the purpose of employment only. International students that fail to show up for work after getting an Employment Offer Letter could jeopardize their visa status.
*All students are limited to working no more than 20 hours a week on campus during the academic year. Exceptions would be holiday breaks and summer term when you can work more hours.