Financial Aid Office

WVU Student Employment Handbook for On Campus Student Workers and Federal Work Study Students

Student Employment Programs

Title 133 Procedural Rule of the Higher Education Policy Commission Series 8, Personal Administration Section 2.1.5 defines a Student Employee as: an employee enrolled at the institution as a student and whose primary purpose for being at the institution is to obtain an education. A student employee is not eligible for benefits and is not covered by the classification of the program.

Many students work as a component of their educational financing strategy, and students who work fewer than 15-20 hours a week often report higher GPAs than those who do not work at all. However, the U.S. Department of Education previously reported that full-time work was negatively associated with persistence and attainment and among undergraduates who initially enrolled full time, the more hours they worked, the more likely they were to drop to less than full-time enrollment or to stop attending.

West Virginia University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Institution. The University does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, age, disability, veteran status, religion, sexual orientation, color, or national origin in the administration of any of its educational programs, activities, or with respect to admission or employment. Faculty, staff, students, and applicants are protected from retaliation for filing complaints or assisting in an investigation under the University’s Equal Opportunity Policy/Affirmative Action Plan. Inquiries regarding the University’s non-discrimination statement may be directed to the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at West Virginia University.

Office of Student Employment
PO Box 6895
Phone: (304) 293-9270
Office Location: 2nd Floor of the Evansdale Crossing in the Mountaineer Hub
Office Hours: 8:15 a.m. to 4:45 p.m.

Federal Work Study Students and Student Workers Employees

The Office of Student Employment consists of the Federal Work Study program and the Student Worker program. The programs serve students while they are taking classes. They have part-time jobs during the semester and full-time and seasonal jobs during the summer.

Federal Work Study Employees

What is Federal Work Study?

Federal Work-Study, also referred to as FWS, is one of the major federal student financial aid programs authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education Act. It is designed to provide part-time employment to students who have established financial need according to federal guidelines. The federal government pays a percentage of the students’ salary; the University or off campus employer pays the remainder. The primary goal of the Federal Work Study Program is to provide students with the opportunity to gain work experience and offset some of their educational costs.

The work a student performs must be in the public interest either on campus or off-campus with non-profit organizations. (This handbook does not apply to off campus jobs with Community Partners.)

Job responsibilities must not promote religious doctrine or involve political lobbying, and the student may not replace or fill a permanent staff position. FWS jobs range from basic services to highly technical lab or computer positions. Many students seek a position related to their career objective. Others seek positions that offer skill development. In either case, the FWS Program is intended to provide a balance between the interests of the student and the needs of the department or agency.

Who is eligible for Federal Work Study?

Federal Work Study (FWS) is awarded according to the standard financial aid application and statutory need analysis procedure. In order to be eligible for a FWS award/funds, a student must:
-Be determined eligible and be awarded FWS allocation by the Financial Aid Office
-Students must complete the application process by filing a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) and meet the March 1st priority filing deadline.
-Recipients must reapply for the FASFA each year.
-Be regularly admitted to WVU
-Be a US Citizen, US National or Permanent Resident
-Be enrolled in at least 6 credits for each semester he/she is employed
-Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) as determined by the number of credits attempted and completed, GPA Standards and degree progression. Contact the Office of Financial Aid if you need more detailed information about the SAP Policy
-Not owe a repayment to any Title IV grant program nor be in default on any Title IV loans received at any school.

Students who receive offers of Federal Work Study in their financial aid award must respond to the award offer within 30 days (accept or decline) or it will be canceled for no response and may not be reinstated. Students who do not respond, even returning workers, will cause their Federal Work Study awards to be canceled. The program encourages community service work and work related to your course of study whenever possible.

Student Employment for Student Workers

Student Worker positions are fully funded by the department hiring the student. To be eligible for a position the student must be registered at WVU and taking classes.

On Campus Jobs (Part-Time and Seasonal)

Students interested in applying for an on campus job should go to the Student Employment Office log onto MountaineerTRAK,

New listings are added to these sites daily. All hiring decisions are made by the prospective employer.

Log on to MountaineerTRAK and go to Jobs and Interview Schedules then Search and Apply for Jobs and Interviews use the search field to search for Part Time – On Campus positions. You can log on to MountaineerTRAK at:

Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.

The Student Employment Job Fair. See our webpage for Upcoming Events:

For more information see our Tips and Resources page:

New listings are added to MountaineerTRAK and our social media on a daily basis. All hiring decisions are made by the prospective hiring supervisor.

Student Employees and Work Study Employees: Fall and Spring

The University has determined that students working in a campus student employment position (i.e. student worker, student residence hall assistant, student assistant or work study) shall be limited to no more than an average of 20 hours worked per week, during the fall and spring semesters.

Student Employees and Work Study Employees: Summer

If a student is enrolled half time or less (6 hours or less for undergraduates and 3 hours or less for graduates) during the summer term, the student is permitted to work full time (not to exceed 40 hours per week). This can have tax implications please see the Student Worker Tax Withholding Guidelines for more information.

Please see the memorandum for more information.

Off-Campus Jobs (Part-Time and Seasonal)
Students interested in applying for an off-campus job should:

Log on to MountaineerTRAK and go to Jobs and Interview Schedules then Search and Apply for Jobs and Interviews use the search field to search for Part Time – Off Campus positions. You can log on to MountaineerTRAK at:

We also offer Employer Recruitment tables, Job Fairs, and other hiring events throughout the year. See our webpage for Upcoming Events:

For more information see our Tips and Resources page:

New listings are added to MountaineerTRAK and our social media on a regular basis. All hiring decisions are made by the prospective employer.

West Virginia University Office of Student Employment acts only as a referral service and makes no particular recommendations regarding employers. We make no representations of guarantees about positions posted by our office. The Office of Student Employment is not responsible for safety, wages, working conditions or other aspects of off-campus employment. Due to the volume of jobs received by this office, we are unable to research the integrity of each organization or person that lists a job with us.

On-Campus and Off-Campus Internships

Students interested in applying for an on-campus or off-campus internship should go to the Career Services Center (located above the Bookstore in the Mountainlair), or log on to MountaineerTRAK. To log on to MountaineerTRAK, students should go to:
New listings are added to MountaineerTRAK on a regular basis. All hiring decisions are made by the prospective employer.

Graduate Assistantships

Students enrolled in a graduate or professional-level degree programs should first investigate graduate assistantships through their academic department or college in order to receive a university tuition waiver and living expense stipend. Graduate Assistantships that are non-departmentally linked are posted in MountaineerTRAK, and on our social media.

Students interested in applying for a Graduate Assistantship should:

Current students can log on to MountaineerTRAK and go to Jobs and Interview Schedules then Search and Apply for Jobs and Interviews use the search field to search for Graduate Assistantship positions. You can log on to MountaineerTRAK at:
Comprehensive information, regarding types of graduate assistantships and work standards for students in graduate assistantships can be found at

Generally speaking, graduate assistants should be assigned no more than an average of 20 hours of work per week and may be employed in another on-campus student worker position, in addition to the assistantship, for no more than 100 hours per semester. Questions regarding special circumstances, or requests for approval of temporary modifications to these requirements should be sent by e-mail to the vice provost John Campbell at

With regard to graduate assistants, this handbook only applies to the additional 100 hours per semester of an on campus student worker job.

Students with Partial Graduate Assistantships may be simultaneously employed in one WVU hourly student worker position for up to 10 hours per week.

Reasonable Accommodations

An employee in his/her present position who is otherwise qualified and has or acquires a permanent medial impairment or impairments causing functional restrictions or limitations which can be reasonably accommodated will be provided such measures by the University, a reasonable accommodation will permit the employee to meet the essential requirements of his/her particular job. Student workers seeking reasonable accommodations should contact WVU’s ADA Coordinator, by phone at (304)-293-5600.

Employee Benefits

Student employees are not eligible to receive other employment benefits such as overtime pay, shift differential, paid holidays, vacation, or sick leave, unemployment insurance, or permanent status.

Processing for Payroll at WVU

Immediately after a student receives a job offer the student must process for payroll before their start date may be set by the supervisor. Students cannot start working before processing is complete. Your hiring supervisor will know if you have completed processing and when you can start work.
For more information on the payroll process, original documents needed to establish identity and employment eligibility, including payroll processing remote locations and times go to

Payment and Recording Time

Students are paid twice a month for hours worked. WVU pays semi-monthly, at the middle and end of the month. Payment is in the form of checks deposited directly into the students’ bank account. Students are also paid 2 weeks in arrears. Therefore, generally they will not receive their first paycheck until after working at least one month. The university is required by law to make deductions from paychecks for federal and state income taxes, and Social Security.

To track time worked student workers will use a time clock near their workplace and swipe using their Mountaineer ID badge or log into MyAccess. The department supervisor will instruct the student worker as to what method is preferred. If the student worker is working off site and neither a time clock nor the Web is available, the student worker will complete an official paper time sheet. Notify your supervisor if you believe there is a problem with your paycheck.

For more information on MyTime and MyAccess go to the website at

Failure to log in appropriately or the falsification of time records can result in disciplinary action up to and including termination and repayment of funds for time not worked..

Notify your supervisor immediately in writing of any errors with clocking in and out.

Clocking In and Out via My Access

To punch in and out of any on campus job or internship via computer, you must go to In the top right corner it says login which takes you to a screen where you input your username and password. Your credentials are just your masterID and your current password. For example, if your email is, your username is asmith92 and your password is the one you are currently using. After you have successfully logged in, you will now be taken to the home screen. To clock in, click the link that says “Web Clock.” When you are starting your shift, click on the green “in” button and when clocking out click the red “out” button.

Checking Your Time Card

To check your current time, click on the “time card” link on the home screen. Select your role, which is most likely employee and this will bring you to your time card. From there you can choose the pay period you want to see your totals for and you can either choose the time card details or time card pay view.

Viewing Your W-2 and E-Paystubs

To view your electronic pay stubs or your W-2, visit If you do not have an account with this site, you will have to set one up. After you have created an account, it will take you to the myApps tab. From there you will see different links to your electronic paystubs as well as W-2s. Choose which one you want to look at then select the date you want to view.

Viewing WVU Pay Days

To see when you will be getting paid, navigate to and on the right hand side, click the link that says Pay Day Schedule. Sign in with your masterID and password and click on the proper pay day schedule that pertains to you. It would be beneficial to print out this sheet so you don’t have to continue navigating to the site to figure out when you get paid.

Monitoring Student Earnings

It is both the student and employer’s responsibility to maintain a cumulative record of the student’s gross earnings. FWS students must stop working once they have earned their full award allotment. It is highly recommended that supervisors keep a sign in sheet as a back up to MyTime records. To see a sample of a sign in sheet click here.
A supervisor should not permit one student to enter time for other students.

Federal Work Study Exceeding Award Amounts

Federal Work-Study policies include a provision that student workers cannot earn in excess of their academic year award.
It is both the student and employer’s responsibility to maintain a cumulative record of the student’s gross earnings. FWS students must stop working once they have earned their full allotment. Any earnings above the student’s FWS allocation will result in a charge to the employing department/agency for the earnings beyond the student’s FWS award.

The Office of Student Employment will send a “warning” notice to the student’s supervisor when his/her earnings reach a certain threshold (within $500 of awarded amount). The student and supervisor should carefully review how many hours the student has left to earn and plan accordingly.

FWS Financial Aid Award/ FWS Revisions

A student’s FWS award may be revised at any time during the academic year to compensate for other types of aid such as Pell Grant, state grant, or outside scholarships or fellowships. The Financial Aid Office will issue a revised award notification to the student and send a notice to his/her supervisor regarding the change. If the FWS award is revised, both the maximum earnings and number of hours worked per week will be affected. Therefore, the student’s ability to work and/or remaining hours must be re-evaluated by the supervisor.

FWS Increases in hourly rates

Work-Study students may be considered for a merit salary increase. The employing department must complete a Pay Rate Increase Form and submit it to the Office of Student Employment for review. If approved, the hiring supervisor and EBO will receive a confirmation email from the Office of Student Employment. It is the supervisor’s responsibility to notify the student.

Retirement Savings Plan

A 403(b) Tax Deferred Retirement Savings Plan is available to employees, including those employees not otherwise entitled to benefits. Should a student employee wish to enroll, an “Enrollment Form” for my selected vendor, either TIAA-CREF or Great West, is required. In addition a “Non-Benefit Eligible Salary Reduction Agreement,” where I indicate the amount to be contributed each pay, is required. Both forms are available on the Human Resources website at If a student does not have access to a computer he/she is responsible for informing the department or the Division of Human Resources so that a solution may be determined.

Under age 18

Students that are under age 18 may work on campus but they are required to have additional documents completed at the Division of Human Resources, Employment Services. The hiring supervisor will initiate these forms.


Every student employee is covered during working hours by Worker’s Compensation for work-related injury/illness. It is imperative that the employee immediately report any job-related accident or illness to his/her supervisor. If a student employee is injured while on the job, the student and supervisor should contact WVU Human Resources at 304-293-5700. If the student does not seek medical treatment they cannot do a Worker’s Compensation claim. All injuries, no matter how trivial, should be reported immediately. Questions regarding Worker’s Compensation should be directed to WVU Human Resources.

Work Hours and Breaks

Student Employees and Work Study Employees: Fall and Spring

The University has determined that students working in a campus student employment position (i.e. student worker, student residence hall assistant, student assistant or work study) shall be limited to no more than an average of 20 hours worked per week, during the fall and spring semesters.

Student Employees and Work Study Employees: Summer

If a student is enrolled half time or less (6 hours or less for undergraduates and 3 hours or less for graduates) during the summer term, the student is permitted to work full time (not to exceed 40 hours per week). If a student is enrolled less than half time, business officers and hiring supervisors must provide the attached “Student Worker Tax Withholding Guidelines” as this can have tax implications to the student.

If a student is enrolled more than half-time in the summer session, they shall be limited to no more than an average of 20 hours per week for student employment positions.

Federal Work Study students may not work during University holidays or emergency closures (i.e. serious weather related closures).

Students who have an F-1 or J-1 Visa (most of our international students) cannot work for more than 20 hours a week (or 40 hours during breaks and holidays), or they will put their visa status in jeopardy and risk deportation. These students must work on campus.

This paragraph applies only to the International Students and is based only on the Immigration rules. These are the rules that the International Students need to follow to be in compliance from an Immigration stand point. It does not apply to US citizens nor does it address University policy or procedure concerning student employment in general. From an Immigration point of view, the summer term is considered a period of break in which the student can work up to 40 hours per week, regardless of enrollment, without violating their VISA status. However, if University policy limits a student (whether a US citizen or International) from working full time if they are enrolled, then the University policy would apply equally to all students.

During the course of a workday of six or more hours, your supervisor is required to allow you to take at least a 20-minute meal break. This provision shall be required in all situations where you are not afforded necessary breaks and/or permitted to eat lunch while working. Additional rules regarding meal breaks, including applicable compensation standards, can be found in WVU-BOG Policy 50—Meal Breaks. You must log out on MyAccess when you leave for lunch then log back in when you return to work. A meal break may not be taken at the end of a shift.
If the employee is under the age of 18, the supervisor shall require a meal break after five hours of continuous work. The meal break must be at least 30 minutes long.

You may be granted a rest period not to exceed ten minutes during each 4-hour shift of work. Rest periods are granted at the discretion of your supervisor. You may be required to work through your rest period, due to operational needs. Since a rest period is compensatable time, you will not receive additional compensation if you are required to work through your rest period.

Last Day of Employment

The last day of student worker employment during a semester is the last day of finals.
The last day of student worker employment for a graduating senior is the last day of finals in the last semester. Student worker employee cannot continue through the summer after graduation.
A FWS student’s assignment will end when they have exhausted their full Federal Work Study allocation.

Dual Jobs

When a student holds more than one job at a time, the total hours worked cannot exceed 20 hours per week when taking classes and cannot exceed 37.5 hours per week during breaks and summer.

One Federal Work Study Assignment Rule

FWS students may be employed in only one FWS position at any given time. Students may choose to change FWS positions. However, in general, they are discouraged from making more than one FWS position change during the academic year. The Office of Student Employment may limit the number of position changes for a student.

Workplace Standards


Your role as a student worker is important to the successful operation of the University. Therefore, you are expected to arrive and be ready to start work at the time you are assigned by your supervisor. Attendance is very important. If you have to leave work earlier than the assigned time, it must be cleared with your supervisor in advance.

Procedures for Reporting Absences

Notification of an absence, prior to a worker’s scheduled start time, is of the utmost importance. If, for any reason, an employee is unable to report to work as scheduled, the employee must notify their supervisor prior to their scheduled start time with their reason and expected duration of the absence. Failure to notify an immediate supervisor concerning an absence can result in discipline to the employee, including termination. It is the obligation of the employee to make certain that the immediate supervisor or designee is notified of an absence prior to the employee’s scheduled start time.
Supervisors have the right to enact and enforce a more detailed policy for particular departments.

Drug Free Workplace

All employees of West Virginia University, including faculty classified and non-classified staff, administrators, and student employees, must comply with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988 (Public Law 100-690 Title V, Subtitle D, 41 U.S.C. 701 et. Seq.).


-The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensing, possession, or use of a controlled substance is prohibited in the workplace.

-Reporting to work under the influence of a controlled substance is prohibited.

Notice to Employees:

As a condition of University employment, every employee must abide by the terms of this policy and notify their supervisor and the Division of Human Resources of any conviction on drug or alcohol related charges resulting from any activity occurring in the workplace or otherwise on University premises no later than five days after such conviction.

Disciplinary Sanctions

Any employee found in violation of this provision shall be subject to disciplinary action, including dismissal.

For More Information

For more information, go to the WVU Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act Booklet available on the WELLWVU website at

Background Checks

Background checks may be required by various on-campus departments prior to final employment.

Other certifications

Other job certifications and trainings may be required specifically for your job. They may include (but are not limited to): Food Handling, Cash Handling, Lifeguard, First Aid, CPR, HIPPA, and FERPA.

Employee Rights and Responsibilities

Employees are required to behave in a civil, professional manner, to treat others with respect; to comply with state and federal laws and regulations related to individual rights, business operations and procedures, health and safety, conflict of interest, and to comply with University regulations, rules, and policies and procedures. Employers are entitled to be treated with respect and dignity (by supervisors and other employees).

Misuse of Computing and Telecommunications Resources

Including, but not limited to:
-WVU campus network
-WVU telecommunications and telephone systems
-University owned microcomputers and printers
-University owned software
-Computer or communications equipment, data, or programs owned, leased, or otherwise provided by WVU are for authorized administrative and academic purposes.
The following is specifically prohibited:
-Disruption or interference with the normal use of computers or communications-related equipment, data, or programs of individuals, or the University
-Unethical, unauthorized, illegal, or other improper use of this equipment, data, or programs.
-Attempts to breach security in any manner
-Use or a computer account or network access for other than the purpose for which assigned
-Unauthorized copying or unauthorized use of computer software.
The WVU campus e-mail system are services provided to faculty, staff, and students for official University business only; it is not to be used for personal gain, political, religious or special interest purposes.


If you are employed by an office, it is especially important for you to learn the general office procedures and to become an expert in your specific assignment.
Once you are hired, it is your responsibility to perform well on assignments and tasks that you are assigned according to the schedule given to you by your supervisor. Do not expect to study while you are scheduled for work, unless you are allowed to do so by your supervisor.

Tobacco Policy

Tobacco or other similar products is prohibited on the Morgantown campus of West Virginia University. Smoking is also prohibited in any motor vehicle owned, leased, or otherwise operated by West Virginia University. Tobacco use is prohibited on the Health Sciences Campus.
Students can utilize tobacco cessation programs through WELLWVU at

Visitors and Phone Use

You should inform friends and relatives that during the hours you are scheduled to work you cannot have social visitors. Unofficial phone use should be strictly limited to necessary use and emergency use only. Personal calls should be limited to break time.

Your Personal Appearance

Your supervisor has the authority to require specific personal appearance regulations to dress, beards, hair, and personal hygiene. You are expected to present a neat and clean appearance all times while scheduled to work.

Your Personal Conduct

As a student worker of WVU, you represent the institution. You are expected to always treat fellow students, faculty, staff, and visitors in a respectful and professional manner.

Use of University Vehicles

Student employees required to operate a University vehicle must possess a valid driver’s license, have a good driving record, and must be authorized by the immediate supervisor and take the state driver’s training.

Work Ethics and Confidentiality Information

While at work, you may learn confidential information about business, other students, parents of students, or other university personnel. This information is strictly confidential and should not be discussed with others. Your supervisor may ask you to sign a confidentiality agreement.

Sexual Harassment Policy Commitment

West Virginia University is committed to providing its faculty, staff, and students with a work and educational environment free from all forms of sexual harassment. Therefore, sexual harassment, in any manner of form, is a violation of University policy and expressly prohibited. All Faculty, students, and staff of the University are expected to:
-Engage in conduct that meets professional standards
-Remain sensitive to the effect of their actions and words on others
-Take appropriate action to prevent sexual harassment
-Avoid behavior that might be construed as sexual harassment
-Acquaint themselves with this policy

Complaint Procedures

Any applicant for employment, current, or former employee or student (herein referred to as complainant) at WVU may file a discrimination complaint with the Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion at West Virginia University at (304) 293-5496. For more information, go to

Workplace Violence

West Virginia University is committed to preventing workplace violence and marinating a sage work environment. In order to provide a safe and healthful work environment for its employees, customers, students and visitors the University expects employees to follow rules of conduct that will protect the interests and safety of all employees and the university.


Solicitation and the selling of products or articles on University property, owned or leased, are prohibited; except, by organizations and groups directly affiliated with and recognized by West Virginia University, and authorized by written approval of the intuition’s president/designee.

University Property

University programs, personnel, time, titles, and property, including equipment, systems, vehicles, information, supplies, and office space, are to be used in conducting authorized business of the University. Use of such for personal benefit or gain may be grounds for disciplinary action.
Employees are responsible for securing the University building, office, room, equipment, and other keys assigned to them for work related reasons. When employment ends, students are expected to return any keys they may have been issued.

Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect

The purpose of WEST VIRGINIA UNIVERSITY BOARD OF GOVERNORS, POLICY 49 is to protect children under the age of 18 on WVU’s premise or involved in University sponsored programs at all geographic locations by providing guidance on reporting requirements for child abuse and neglect. “Child abuse or neglect” means physical injury, mental or emotional injury, sexual abuse, sexual exploitation, sale or attempted sale or negligent treatment or maltreatment of a child by a parent, guardian or custodian who is responsible for the child’s welfare, or other person in a position of trust in relation to a child under his or her care, custody or control, under circumstances which harm or threaten the health and welfare of the child. “Sexual abuse” means a child who is less than sixteen years of age, any of the following acts which a parent, guardian or custodian or other person in a position of trust in relation to a child under his or her care, custody or control, shall engage in, attempt to engage in or knowingly procure another person to engage in, with such child, notwithstanding the fact that the child may have willingly participated in such conduct or the fact that the child may have suffered no apparent physical injury or mental or emotional injury as a result of such conduct: (i) sexual intercourse; or (ii) sexual contact; any conduct whereby a parent, guardian or custodian or other person in a position of trust in relation to a child under his or her care, custody or control, displays his or her sex organs to a child, or procures another person to display his or her sex organs to a child, for the purpose of gratifying the sexual desire of the parent, guardian or custodian, of the person making such display, or of the child, or for the purpose of affronting or alarming the child. Immediate action should be taken in order to protect children present on the WVU campus or participating in programs that may be connected with the University. Importantly, under West Virginia law, an individual that
reports an incident of child abuse or neglect in good faith is immune from civil or
criminal liability.

Reporting Child Abuse or Neglect

If any member of the University community observes or has reasonable cause to
suspect any type of child abuse or neglect, including physical or sexual abuse, he
or she must immediately report the circumstances to the Title IX Coordinator in
the Division of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at 304-293-5600. In cases
involving a mandatory reporter, as described in Section 3.2, the University
community should be aware that such individuals are required by law to report in
accordance with W. Va. Code 49-6A-1 to -11 (2013) and the BOG Policy 49: Section 3.2 available at

Progressive Discipline

Progressive discipline is a process for dealing with job-related behavior that does not
meet expected and communicated performance standards. The primary purpose for
progressive discipline is to assist the employee to understand that a performance
problem or opportunity for improvement exists. The process features increasingly formal efforts to provide feedback to the employee so he or she can correct the problem.

The goal of progressive discipline is to improve employee performance. The process of progressive discipline is not intended as a punishment for an employee, but to assist the employee to overcome performance problems and satisfy job expectations. Progressive discipline is most successful when it assists an individual to become an effectively performing member of the organization.
A student may be disciplined for various reasons.
If there is a disciplinary problem with a student employee, the discipline can range from an oral admonition, written warning (with terms and conditions of continued employment), to termination.
If a supervisor cannot resolve an apparent problem with the student, they will notify the Office of Student Employment.

Terminations/Separations/ End of FWS Allocation

If at any time, you decide to discontinue working, you are expected to notify your supervisor two weeks in advance in writing. An employee is expected to work throughout the two week notice, unless waived by the immediate supervisor.

A FWS student’s assignment will end when they have utilized their full Federal Work Study allocation. Remember, if the student continues to work after the full FWS award allocation has been reached the department/agency will be charged for the overage;
With the exception of the student working the full FWS award allocation, if termination is requested either by the student or supervisor, the Release Form ( must be completed.

Employment Termination

Grounds for termination include excessive tardiness, inappropriate behavior, sleeping, absenteeism, or failure to perform assigned duties and tasks. If a student is recording time fraudulently, the student will immediately be terminated and be referred to the Office of Student Conduct who will render appropriate disciplinary action.


For clarification or interpretation of anything listed in this handbook, contact the Office of Student Employment at: (304) 293-9270 or