Skip to main content

On-Campus Payroll Information for International Students

All International Students must complete payroll processing with Tax Services at One Waterfront Place before they can begin work on campus.  Payroll Processing information for International Student Employees is available a

I: International Students who already have a Social Security Number or Social Security Number Receipt can process for payroll by calling and scheduling an appointment with a member of the Tax Services Unit Tax Services One Waterfront Place, Don Knotts Blvd.
Phone: (304) 293-3379, option 3

1. Passport/VISA
2. I-94 card
3. I-20 or DS-2019 form
4. Social Security Card OR receipt from the Social Security Administration
5. Banking documents (US bank) that can be used for direct deposit of your pay check. Select one of the following:

If you secure another on-campus job, you must contact Marie Jackson by phone to determine the payroll process.

II: Process for applying for a Social Security Card – If you obtain an employment opportunity on campus and do not have a Social Security card please do the following:

1. Request an Employment Offer Letter (see the sample letter on the reverse side) from the hiring manager. It can be downloaded at: It must be completed and printed on department letterhead and signed by the hiring manager.

2. The International Student must submit the completed letter to International Students and Scholars in E. Moore Hall across from the Mountainlair. Then ISSS will then prepare a Letter of Verification for students with a J-1 Visa status.

3. Wait for approximately 5-10 days for the information to become active in the SEVIS system, then take your Employment Offer Letter, ISSS Letter of Verification, Passport, Visa, Form I-20 or Form DS-2019, and I-94 Card to the Social Security Administration. (See driving and public transportation directions below)

4. The Social Security Administration office will process your application and provide you with a receipt.

5. Follow the directions in SECTION 1 to process for payroll.

GRADUATE ASSISTANTS – Social Security Administration change effective 8.1.09: The Social Security office will no longer accept spring dated assistantship letters for fall term international graduate assistants applying for a Social Security card. Departments must go to and download the form on their own letterhead. (See sample below.) The student must also pick up another letter from the Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) and be ACTIVE in the Homeland Security SEVIS system before applying for a Social Security Number. For questions please phone ISSS at (304) 293-3519.


*All students are limited to working no more than 20 hours a week on campus during the academic year. Exceptions would be holiday breaks and summer term when you can work more hours.

For additional information, contact
Student Employment
Mountaineer Hub
2nd Floor, Evansdale Crossing
West Virginia University 
Phone: 304.293.1988

West Virginia University is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action institution. The University does not discriminate on the basis of age, color, disability, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Minorities, persons with disabilities, females, and other protected class members are encouraged to apply.